I have a week of Classical Scene Study under my belt at Springer Theatre Academy. Teaching here is an epic undertaking (at least compared to the other theatre classes/camps I've taught) - we have six groups of students who take six different classes with 50-minute class periods - Contemporary Scene Study, Classical Scene Study, Voice and Movement, Improv, Musical Theatre, and a creative expression class called BANG.
This past week, we (I say we, as in my team teacher, Kyle, and I) started talking about action. Acting is doing, not being. That's why we are called actors, not be-ers (which, now that I see it written out, looks like beer. Yep. Actors aren't called beer. I am wise). We started working with tools to use with text - a formula to implement action, looking for a beginning, middle, and end. We taught blocking terminology and practiced it today with a little bit of text, which was much more successful and captivating that I imagined it would be.
The point is proven to me every day with every age group: action lies at the heart of excellent, captivating acting. I feel privileged to be teaching action to young actors and even more privileged to see them learn and grow with the concept.
No comments:
Post a Comment