Since the beginning of the month, I've been traveling - sleeping in new beds and new rooms, driving all across the Southeast, meeting new people, and allowing my friends to dictate my itinerary.
The simplest reason for all this - I like to travel.
But in a phone chat with a college friend last night, I realized that this month of vagabonding is also my giant experiment in letting go. Two years ago, had I embarked on this same trip, I would have had a set of directions printed for every destination, plus a list of things to do and rad places to eat, the weather forecast for the week, and the location of the nearest banking institution. And now, I get in the car and go. Sometimes, I know where I'm going and how to get there. Most of the time I don't.
In addition to this grand and difficult experiment in 'going with the flow,' I'm also learning how to live the life I want. I set the goal of running every day in August. And, no matter the location, I've done it - I've run in the moist heat of Savannah and Columbus, in the cool trees of Appalachia, through the coastal homes at Sunset Beach. I have the power to live the active and healthy life I want in any geographic location.
August has turned into a beautiful, eye-opening, and life-transitioning month.
No comments:
Post a Comment