Sunday, June 24, 2012

Three weeks down, five to go at the theatre academy this summer!

I'm teaching Classical Scene Study and, in addition to the joy innate in reading Shakespeare half for fun and half for work, I'm enjoying the process of students slowly filling the Bard's words with meaning for themselves and opening their mouths to speak them to an audience.

My team teacher and I began this summer with certain objectives in mind - students engaging their bodies in heightened movement as a tool to endow the heightened text, telling stories with aforementioned movement and text...

But it is a daily revelation to witness the other skills they are absorbing - commitment and responsibility for their actions, trusting others, the value of teamwork and collaboration.  I come away from each day thankful that I have the opportunity to teach students these skills in a world where these skills are sometimes undervalued.  It feels really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment